Moving Checklist 4 Weeks Prior to Move
• Make a “Move” file folder.
• Set up a calendar for your move.
• Have a garage sale.
• Contact a local charity to donate any unneeded furniture.
• Gather moving supplies, boxes, tape, rope.
• Call a moving company or make truck rental reservations to move yourself.
• Collect doctors, dentists, medical and school records.
• Collect all financial, tax, and employment documentation that may be needed for your loan.
• Contact your insurance company to transfer your policies (life, auto, homeowners).
3 Weeks Prior to Move
• Arrange a cut off date, and date for new service with your utility companies
(telephone, gas, electric, water, garage, and cable).
• Call friends and relatives to let them know you are moving.
• Canned goods can be costly to move-you may consider donating to a local charity.
• Check out Voter Registration information.
• Send change of address forms to newspapers, magazines, and associations.
• Notify the post office of your move. Fill out a change of address card.
• Review tax deductions on moving expenses.
2 Weeks Prior to Move
• Transfer stocks, bonds, bank accounts, and contents of safety deposit boxes.
• Prepare a list of clothes to take with you, start separating them into suitcases.
• Take the time to check ALL of the previous items, you still have time.
1 Week Prior to Move
• Clean your refrigerator and let it air out at least 24 hours before moving.
• Drain outdoor equipment, water from hoses, propane tanks from barbecue grills,
and gas and oil from lawn mowers. Discard any aerosol, paint, oils, flammable,
chemicals. and/or toxic
• Label items you need to easily access and place them in a separate room or closet.
• Arrange for pest control before moving into your new home-especially on new
Move Out Day
• Remember that those items packed last will be unloaded first.
• Once everything is out of the house, take on last look through the house:
cupboards, closets, behind doors, attics, stairwells, overhead in the garage, outside the home, and any storage sheds.
Move In Day
• Have the house ready before the trucks arrive. Take some time, sit back, and relax.